archive-ie.com » IE » L » LANDEDESTATES.IE

Total: 848

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Landed Estates Database
    of Ballingarry as Venture Fair and note the existence there of coal mines of the same name At the time of Griffith s Valuation it was leased by Mrs Mary O Sullivan from the Langley estate and valued at almost 10 A house is still extant at the site Verdanthill House In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books record Verdant Hill House as the residence of George Wilson By the time of Griffith s Valuation it was occupied by George Fitzmaurice leasing from Rev David Brownrigg when it was valued at 19 It is still extant Vermount Also known as Munine or Moneen the house was described as in ruins on the Ordnance Survey 6 inch map 1932 following its burning in 1923 Extensive outbuildings are still in use and part of the yard is now a residence McHale writes that this was in fact the original house The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage suggests that the family occupied this building while Vermont House was being constructed In 1786 Wilson refers to a house called Munnine as a seat of Mr French Vernon Mount Built by Atwell Hayes in the 1780s Vernon Mount was the residence of John Leslie in 1814 and of O Hayes in 1837 Soon afterwards it was leased to William Lane and he was the occupier at the time of Griffith s Valuation holding the house valued at 55 from Attiwell Hayes The Hayes sale rental of 1851 describes this house as a large handsome building erected by the present owner s father at a cost of 5000 It was leased by the Hayes family to William Lane in 1839 A building still exists at this site View Mount A property named as View Mount on the 25 inch Ordnance Survey Map of the 1890s It

    Original URL path: http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/property-list.jsp?letter=V (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Landed Estates Database
    of Griffith s Valuation valued at 11 10 shillings Henry Vereker of Dublin married Anne Morony of Limerick in 1823 Westfield At the time of Griffith s Valuation Margaret Long was leasing this property to Rev John Coppinger when it was valued at 13 15s The house is still extant and occupied Westgrove Arthur Riall was residing at Westgrove in 1837 and in 1850 when the house was valued at 23 and held from Robert Maunsell This house is still in use as a residence Weston John D Mahon was leasing this property valued at 35 from Sir William Mahon at the time of Griffith s Valuation It is described as unoccupied at the time of the first Ordnance Survey The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage indicates that the original Weston house is now demolished A smaller house known as Weston Lodge was also located in the demesne M779403 It is no longer extant Westpark Occupied by Thomas J Morony in 1814 In the mid 20th century the summer home of the McClancy family Westport House Built on the site of the O Malley castle of Cathair na Mart by Colonel John Browne expanded by his grandson to the design of Richard Cassels the house has remained in the possession of the Browne family for over three centuries They still live there and the house and its grounds function as a major tourist attraction Westwood Reverend P Fitzgerald wrote in 1826 that Lancelot Kiggell lately built a beautiful cottage adjoining a fine old wood near Glin This house was occupied by Lieutenant Hyde Royal Navy in 1837 and by John F E Fitzgerald heir to the Knight of Glin in the early 1850s The house shown on the 25 inch map of the 1890s is much reduced in size and it is no longer extant Westwood Benduff Cottage Catherine French held this property from William Morris at the time of Griffith s Valuation On the 25 inch Ordnance Survey map of the 1890s it is labelled Westwood In 1906 it was owned by Michael French and valued at 13 10s There is still an extant house at the site White Hall The residence of Mr White in 1778 when it was known as Quin s pool In 1786 Wilson refers to it as White Hall the seat of Mr White The home of Captain Richard Kane in 1837 At the time of Griffith s Valuation occupied by John C Delmege who held it from the Captain s son Thomas Kane It is still extant Whitechurch In 1851 this property was held in fee by Florence McCarthy when it was valued at 32 Local sources suggest it was once part of the Earl of Huntingdon s estate The ITA survey noted that it had previously been the property of Dr Forsythe and from the 1920s onwards owned by the McGrath family It is still extant and used as self catering accommodation Whitefort House The Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to Whitefort House as a gentleman s residence in 1840 At the time of Griffith s Valuation this property was leased by John Jones from the Wall estate when it was valued at almost 10 It is still extant Whitegate House In 1786 Wilson refers to Whitegate as the seat of Thomas Travers It was the home of Mrs Gertrude Fitzgerald nee Blakeney Lyon wife of Robert Uniacke Fitzgerald in 1837 and at the time of Griffith s Valutaion when it was valued at 25 and held from Robert U P Fitzgerald The property passed in the mid 1850s to the niece of R U Fitzgerald Anne Penrose who was married to Thomas Stewart Still extant and occupied Whitehall Edward Townsend held this property in fee at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 22 Lewis noted it as the residence of S Townsend in 1837 In 1906 it was owned by the representatives of Samuel R Townsend and valued at 21 Bence Jones indicates that it later became the property of the Alleyne family The Irish Tourist Association reported in the early 1940s that it was still occupied at that time Whitesfort At the time of Griffith s Valuation John Norris was leasing this property from the Stradbroke estate when it was valued at 11 Referring to the 1770s Sadleir notes John White of Whitefort who was married to a daughter of Ambrose Lane It is not named on the 1st edition Ordnance survey map though buildings and a walled garden are visible The ruins of some buildings remain Whitestown Described as a huntsman s house in Griffith s Valuation in 1850 Whitestown was then valued at 14 In 1906 it was still part of Lord Waterford s estate and valued at 11 It is no longer extant Whitestown In 1850 Lord Waterford held a property described as a huntsman s house in fee at Whitestown It was valued at 14 Substantial kennels are shown nearby on the 25 inch Ordnance Survey map of the 1890s and this building is still extant Whitestown House David Shanahan was leasing Whitestown House from the Marquis of Waterford s estate in 1850 when it was valued at 16 10s The original house is now derelict This may be the property to which Wilson refers in 1786 when he notes it as seat of Mr Ducket Whitestown House Kilmacthomas In 1851 Stephen Moore was leasing this property from the Marquis of Waterford when it was valued at almost 10 It is still extant and occupied Whiteville Leet records Mr Stephen Ryan as the resident of White ville Moneygall in 1814 The Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to Whiteville as the residence of Robert White Benjamin White was the occupier at the time of Griffith s Valuation He held the property in fee and the buildings were valued at 13 This house marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map was replaced by a later house known as Knockanroger House and located slightly to the north of the original structure A house is still extant at the site Whitfield Court In 1850 William Christmas held Whitfield in fee when it was valued at 49 The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage indicates the house was built by him between 1820 1849 replacing an earlier house Local sources indicate that this earlier house was in the townland of Whitfield and the name was transferred to the existing house when it was built in the adjacent townland of Dooneen Leet records the earlier property as the seat of Thomas Christmas in 1814 Smith writing in 1774 mentions the house as an elegent seat belonging to Thomas Christmas formerly a Dobbyn castle In 1786 Wilson refers to Whitfield as the seat of William Christmas The nineteenth century house is still extant but no longer occupied Wilford Occupied by W Lindsey in 1837 A roofless ruin now occupies the site Wilford Wilford was the residence Butler Esq in the 1770s and 1780s and of Mr Richard Blackmore in 1814 In the early 1850s it was occupied by John Blackmore who held the property valued at 11 from William P Barker with 128 acres The house is labelled Wilford House on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map but as Shangarry House on the 25 inch edition of the 1890s It is now a ruin Wilford Lodge This house may have been named after Lieutenant Colonel Richard R Wilford who held a lease of the property from the Arbuthnot family in 1786 It was also leased to Reverend George Graydon Sir Samuel O Malley and Thomas G FitzGerald and A T Oram as detailed in the Westport Papers Charles Pridham was the occupier at the time of Griffith s Valuation Buildings are still extant at the site For further information and photographs about the Oram occupation of Wilford see http familyhistory oram ca burrishoole Willbrook This house was originally an Adams home the Adams and Brews intermarried In 1837 W A Brew lived here At the time of Griffith s Valuation the buildings were valued at 5 and the house was occupied by Austin Moran and held from Lord George Quin In the early 20th century it was the home of the Corbett family Weir writes that the house was burnt down during the Troubles The present residence which was bought in the mid 20th century by Louis de Brocquy was constructed out of the stables Williamstadt House Previously the residence of the Brady family Williamstadt passed to Dr Francis Sampson through marriage in 1833 At the time of Griffith s Valuation it was valued at 10 and Sampson was leasing it from James Egan Up to 1898 this house would have been in county Galway The house is still extant and occupied Williamstown Castle Lewis refers to Williamstown Castle having been restored by the Messrs Pain architects In the early 1850s John Croker is recorded as the occupier holding the property in fee The buildings were valued at 33 It is now a ruin Williamstown Hotel Joshua Seward was leasing a building valued at 7 to the City of Dublin Steam Packet company at Drummaan East barony of Leitrim county Galway at the time of Griffith s Valuation This building functioned as the Williamstown Hotel The original hotel building is no longer extant but the stable block remains and is used as a house Following 1898 boundary revisions this property is now located in county Clare Williamstown House David O Neill Power was the lessor of several properties in the townland of Williamstown in 1848 This property though valued at only 4 10s appears as Williamstown House on the 6 inch Ordnance Survey map However it has disappeared by the publication of the 25 inch Ordnance Survey map of the 1890s In 1848 it was leased to John W Pons Writing in 1774 Smith mentions Williamstown House as the seat of Mr Fitzgerald Williamstown Power At the time of Griffith s Valuation Edmund Power senior was leasing a property valued at 10 15s from the O Neill Power estate At the same time Edmund Power junior was leasing a property valued at 11 14s Willmount Willmount House leased by Thomas Mahon from William Smith at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 10 In the 1870s Henry Morgan who owned over 200 acres in county Galway was residing at Willmount In 1906 it was the property of John McCoy The original house appears not to have survived though there is evidence of a farm yard and walled garden close to Willmount Graveyard Extensive modern farm buildings exist on the site Willmount Occupied in 1814 by Robert Lane and by Hampden Lane in the early 1850s when the house was valued at 17 and held from William P Barker This house is still an occupied residence Willmount or Gortnacloghy In 1856 Matthew McDonagh was leasing a property valued at 19 in the townland of Gortnacloghy parish of Lickmolassy barony of Longford from the Clanricarde estate This house was also known as Wilmount or Wellmount Willow Brook Occupied by Richard Orpin in the early 1850s and held from John Herbert Orpin the buildings were valued at 10 10 shillings This house is still extant and occupied Willow Lodge James Fleetwood was resident at Willow Lodge in 1814 and in 1837 By the time of Griffith s Valuation the house appears to be only valued at 1 and occupied by David Tierney Willow Lodge is marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map It is named Alma on the 25 inch map of the 1890s There is still an extant house at the site Willowbrook At the time of Griffith s Valuation Andrew McCullough was leasing a property at Willowbrook valued at 13 from Mrs Ormsby Gore In 1906 Lord Harlech s estate owned property valued at 3 at Willowbrook barony of Carbury McTernan notes that the house was accidentaly destroyed by fire in December 1867 The ruin is still visible Willowfield Alexander Percy was occupying the house at Aghatawny known as Willowfield at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 10 Lewis records it as a seat of the Percy family in 1837 In 1814 it was the residence of William Shanley Both Taylor and Skinner and Wilson also record it as a seat of the Shanley family in the 1780s The building is still extant Willowhill House Edward R Warren was leasing Willow Hill House to Thomas Hungerford at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 13 It is still extant and occupied Willsborough Henry Sampy was leasing a property valued at 3 10s 155 acres at Willsborough barony of Castlereagh from the Sandford estate at the time of Griffith s Valuation In 1814 this property was the residence of Walter Jordan The site of Willsborough House is now occupied by the Community Centre and pitches of Michael Glaveys GAA Club A memorial stone for a dog owned by Helen Sampey is preserved against the wall of the building Willsbrook House Originally a property of the Wills family who inherited the Sandford estate through Mrs Mary Wills In the 1850s Willsbrook was leased by Michael O Connor In 1814 it had been the seat of Daniel O Connor Willsbrook House is no longer extant Willsfort Occupied by William Harris in 1814 and by Mrs Dowman in 1837 Francis Clancy was the occupier at the time of Griffith s Valuation holding the house valued at 26 from Jane Dowman A house is still extant at the site Willsgrove William W R Sandford s estate was the lessor of two properties at Willsgrove barony of Castlereagh at the time of Griffith s Valuation One valued at 10 was vacant while the second was leased to Anne Glancey together with 260 acres In 1837 Lewis records Willsgrove as the seat of W R Wills In 1786 Wilson refers to Willsgrove as the seat of Thomas Wills a large and fine house The 1749 Census of Elphin records that Godfrey Wills was resident at Willsgrove In 1783 Taylor and Skinner note Willsgrove as a seat of the Wills family It is described as in ruins on the 25 inch Ordnance Survey map of the 1890s Wilton The home of W K Brown in 1837 and of Edward Brown at the time of Griffith s Valuation when the buildings were valued at 16 Wilton In 1786 Wilson refers to Wilton Hall as the seat of Mr Perceval A house labelled Wilton is shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map It was occupied by George Duhy at the time of Griffith s Valuation valued at 14 and held from Lord Cloncurry On the 25 inch map of the 1890s this property is labelled Wilton Constabulary Barracks It is no longer extant Wilton Valued at 15 at the time of Griffith s Valuation and held by James Welply from John D Croker Later occupied by Bradys Westropps and Webbs still extant Wilton In 1786 Wilson refers to Willtown as the seat of Mr Izod Charles H Leslie occupied Wilton in 1814 and in 1837 By the mid 19th century Matthew Leslie was resident holding the house valued at 55 from John Craig and H Mitchell A college is now located at this site Wilton This house located close to Donnybrook was vacant at the time of Griffith s Valuation and held by William Poe It was valued at 10 Earlier in 1839 the Ordnance Survey Name books had noted it as the residence of John Poe but out of repair at present It no longer exists Windfield Originally a Blake house Wilson refers to it as the seat of Mr Blake in 1786 It was sold to the Jameson family in the early 1820s and occupied by J Lynch in the late 1830s Catherine Lynch was leasing the property at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 30 The house was burnt in 1921 and nothing remains now Windford A home of the Hudson family occupied by John Hudson in 1814 and by Robert Hudson in the early 1850s Though there are buildings at the site the original house does not seem to be extant Windsor House In 1786 Wilson referss to Breandrum as the seat of Mr McDonnell A house valued at 40 was held by Colonel James McAlpine at Breandrum or Windsor at the time of Griffith s Valuation The original house has been replaced by a modern building Windsor House Dominick Sarsfield was living at Windsor Cork in 1814 and by 1837 it was the property of J Martin Joseph Martin held this house valued at 13 10 shillings from the Earl of Bandon in the early 1850s Windsor House is still extant and occupied Windsor Lodge At the time of Griffith s Valuation Thomas Martin was leasing a house valued at over 4 from Frances Ramsey This appears to be the property now known as Windsor Lodge which is still extant and occupied Wingfield A house located just inside the county Tipperary border with county Offaly The property belonged to John Shortt in the mid 18th century When he died in 1768 his widow Frances nee Spunner married Jonathan Doolan Wingfield was occupied by Jonathan s son Thomas Doolan in 1814 and in 1837 The Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to it as the residence of Paliner Thomas Doolan in 1840 By the time of Griffith s Valuation Henry Spunner was resident He held the property from Jonathan Short and the buildings were valued at 20 Richard Thomas Croasdaile and his sister Margaret occupied the house in 1901 This house is now a ruin Winterfield House Described in the 1830s as a neat 2 storied house the home of Captain Butler It was held in fee by John Butler at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 15 It is no longer extant Woburn A gentleman s seat called Waburn is recorded here in the Ordnance Survey Name Books of the 1830s Slater refers to Woburn as the seat of Henry Flanagan in 1846 Buildings in this townland valued at 15 were leased by Henry Flanagan from the Clanricarde estate in 1856 Woburn is still extant though disused Wood Hill Knocknacurra House Benjamin Gillman was leasing this property to William McCrate at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 14 5s Lewis refers to the house as Knocknacurra seat of Benjamin Gillman in 1837 It is labelled Knocknacurra House on the 25 inch Ordnance Survey map of the 1890s Farm builidngs appear to occupy the site now Wood House Woodville Thomas McGrath was leasing a house and mill from William Christmas at the time of Griffith s Valuation when the two properties had a valuation of 23 This house is labelled Woodvilla on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map but Wood House on the later 25 inch edition A house is still extant at the site The mill buildings are described as in ruins on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map Wood Park This was the earlier house on this estate shown as Woodpark on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1838 It was lived in by the Anderson family in the 1830s and 1840s At the time of Griffith s Valuation it was held in fee by Thomas Jones and valued at 6 A house diminished in size but still labelled Wood Park is shown on the 25 inch map of the 1890s This property does not appear to be extant now Charles Coyne also lived at Massbrook in the mid 19th century See also under Massbrook Wood View John Limerick was leasing this property to Robert Hungerford at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 8 The building is labelled Woodview dispensary on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map and as Woodview on the 25 inch edition of the 1890s There is a modern or renovated building at the site Wood View A house valued at 10 in the mid 19th century occupied by Denis McCartie who held it from John McCarthy The residence of J McCartie in 1837 In the Irish Tourist Association Survey of the 1940s it is referred to as the residence of Mr Daly and formerly the home of the McCarthy O Leary family connected with Daniel O Connell The original house is no longer extant Wood View The home of J Cremen in 1837 and Jeremiah Crimmin in the early 1850s when the house was valued at 16 and held from Thomas Wyse Wood View Carrigaline George Daunt was leasing this property to William Daunt at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 7 A house is still extant at the site Woodberry House In the possession of Richard Bermingham in the mid 18th century when he sold it to Philip Parker of Erris county Mayo and his wife Maria Kelly It appears to have remained in Parker ownership until purchased by the Holton family in the 1850s Now owned by Louis Walsh Woodberry House Kilconnell William Hemsworth was occupying this property valued at 10 at the time of Griffith s Valuation when he was leasing it from Seymour Harrison In 1894 Slater states that it was in the possession of Patrick J Davy and he is also listed as the owner in 1906 Earlier in 1814 Leet noted it as the seat of Peter Daly It is still extant and occupied Woodbine A house belonging to the Gores Earls of Arran which was the residence of the Ham family until the 1860s one of whom built the Upper Bridge over the River Moy in Ballina The Hams subleased from the Jones family The house was bought by Anne Elizabeth Jones in the early 1870s in trust for her son Henry Hastings Jones The Jones family sold Woodbine to an American lady in 1939 It was offered for sale again in recent years Woodbine Cottage Also known as Admirals Cottage this house was a summer residence of the Russell family located on the Morony estate Passed to the Browning family through marriage with the Russells The house is no longer extant Woodbine Hill George Roche held this property from the Smyth estate in 1851 when it was valued at over 26 Local sources suggest it was built by him earlier in the nineteenth century It is still extant and occupied Woodbrook Originally a Netterville home Woodbrook was located in the demesne of Netterville Lodge and is marked on the first Ordnance Survey map of 1838 At the time of Griffith s Valuation it was described as a steward s house valued at 5 It is now a ruin Woodbrook At the time of Griffith s Valuation James Kirkwood held a herd s house valued at 4 at Woodbrook barony of Boyle together with 340 acres This property is no longer extant Woodbrook House Keenehan and others state that Woodbrook House was built around 1780 by the Phibbs family although there may have been an earlier house on the site The Kirkwood family purchased the property sometime in the early nineteenth century At the time of Griffith s Valuation Sarah Mary Kirkwood was leasing a house at Usna barony of Boyle valued at 14 from Robert H Brewster French From the 1890s 1911 Woodbrook was a very successful racing stables run by Colonel Tom Kirkwood Life in the house in the post WWI era has been made famous by the memoir Woodbrook written by the Scottish author David Thomson a tutor to the daughters of the family In 1946 over 50 acres of the estate was sold to the local golf club while the Land Commission subsequently divided the remainder Woodbrook House is still extant Woodbrook House Darkwood Mill Herbert Gillman was leasing a property at Cloontiquirk from the Cox estate in 1851 when it was valued at 25 10s and included a mill W224535 The house is labelled Woodbrook on both the 1st edition and 25 inch Ordnance Survey maps and is still extant and occupied In 1943 the Irish Tourist Association Survey stated that it was the residence of Robert Atkins and had formerly been used as a convent by the Sisters of Charity Woodcliff Occupied by A E Taylor in 1837 Woodcliffe the estate of Anselm Evans Taylor was advertised for sale in 1852 The sale notice describes Woodcliffe as beautifully situated commanding a view of the Shannon Held by Richard E Taylor in fee at the time of Griffith s Valuation and advertised for sale again in January 1873 and in July 1884 Sold in 1888 and home of the Fitzgerald family at the end of the 20th century Woodfield At the time of Griffith s Valuation Francis R O Grady held the townland of Woodfield which included an unoccupied house valued at 5 The house is labelled Woodfield House on both the 1st and 25 inch Ordnance Survey maps Modern buildings exist at the site now though the ruins of some estate architecture is still visible Woodfield Home of a branch of the Kirwan family in the 18th and early 19th centuries By the time of Griffith s Valuation the townland was owned by the Hancock family but no house had a substantial valuation A house still exists at the site Woodfield Built c 1720s by the Bridgeman family and sold by them to the Reverend M Locke in 1780 Wilson records it as his seat in 1786 The house was bought by William James O Brien in 1802 He died in 1822 and the house was occupied by C Walker in 1837 By the mid 19th century Thomas W Butterfield was leasing it from the Reverend Savage Hall who had married Anne O Brien The buildings were valued at 22 It remained in the possession of the Hall family until at least the late 19th century it was leased to the Bourke family This house was advertised for sale in January 2009 Woodfield House Donanaghta At the time of Griffith s Valuation Timothy Egan was leasing a property valued at 7 from the Clanricarde estate On the 25 inch map of the 1890s the house in this townland is labelled Woodfield It is still extant and occupied The first edition Ordnance Survey map notes an old brewery nearby Woodford Woodford was the residence of Robert J Gore at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 15 In 1814 it was occupied by John Gore Both Taylor and Skinner and Wilson also record it as a seat of the Gore family in the 1780s The house at Woodford Demesne described as formerly the residence of the Rev Gore was formerly a genteel residence but now in a ruinous state at the time of the first Ordnance Survey in 1835 Lewis records it as the seat of Ormsby Gore in 1837 In 1906 it was the property of Emily Upperton and was valued at 19 The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage states that it retains little original fabric but much of the estate architecture including the site of the walled garden survives There is also an earlier castle at this site Woodford John Murphy lived at Woodford in 1814 and Edmund Murphy in the mid 19th century when the house was valued at 30 15 shillings and held from Francis Greene The Ordnance Survey Name Books describe it as a gentleman s seat situated in a small demesne in 1841 It is still extant Woodford House At the time of Griffith s Valuation Mary Curtayne was leasing this property at Lissyviggeen from Lord Kenmare s estate when it was valued at 13 5s Bary states that it was occupied by the Misses Curtayne in the 19th century and is still extant and occupied Woodfort Described in 1750 as an handsome house with elegant plantations inhabited by Simeon Marshal Surveyor General of Munster Occupied by Ousley esq in the 1770s and 1780s this house was the home of Richard Perry in 1814 and of T Ware in 1837 It was valued at 30 at the time of Griffith s Valuation and still held by Thomas Weir from Charles Haynes Later the home of the Carroll Leahy family In 1944 the Irish Tourist Association survey reported that it was a novitiate for the Sisters of St Francis This house now functions as Mount Alvernia Hospital Woodfort George Massy occupied this house which he held from the Reverend Samuel Adams in the early 1850s It was valued at 20 The home of the Magniers at the beginning of the 21st century Woodfort Bandon John Ottley was leasing Woodford from the Alcock family in 1851 when it was valued at 25 It is still extant Woodhill Originally this property belonged to the Dennis family Following the marriage of Elizabeth Dennis to Cooper Penrose a Quaker of Waterford it passed into the possession of the Penrose family who enlarged the house Another Cooper Penrose was the occupant in 1814 and in the mid 19th century holding the property from James Murphy The buildings were valued at 100 The house was demolished circa 1980s Woodhill House At the time of Griffith s Valuation Lewis Jones was leasing Woodhill house valued at 25 at Knockaculleen barony of Tireragh from Anne Jones When the property was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in May 1875 the house is described as a handsome modern residence valued at 30 The Wingfield King estate sold their interest in the property in 1879 and the sale notice mentions Thaddeus Tiernan as occupying the house at that time In 1906 a house here valued at 20 was the property of Thaddeus Tiernan McTernan states that this gentleman had amassed a fortune in Australia and South America He became involved in public life including Board of Guardians and County Council on taking up residence at Woodhill The house is still owned by his descendents Woodhouse Middlethird In 1841 the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to Woodhouse a gentleman s house the proprietor being Basil Bryan By the time of Griffith s Valuation a property at Woodhouse was occupied by Timothy Connolly who was leasing it from Richard Price It was valued at 10 Woodhouse is labelled in ruins on the 25 inch edition Ordnance Survey Map of the 1890s Woodhouse Stradbally Robert Uniacke held this property in fee at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 52 10s In 1894 Slater refers to it as the seat of Robert H Beresford In 1906 it was the property of John Beresford and still valued at over 52 Smith referred to it in 1774 as the estate of Borr Uniake Peacock notes that the Woodhouse estate was successively owned by Fitzgeralds up to 1724 the Uniackes until 1855 and after that the Beresfords In 1942 the ITA survey notes that the owner of the house Major Lord William Beresford was then resident in India The house is still extant and well maintained It was sold in 2013 Woodinstown Woodinstown was the home of a branch of the Carew family in the 18th and 19th centuries Robert Carew was resident in the first half of the 19th century holding the property in fee at the time of Griffith s Valuation when the buildings were valued at 16 This house is no longer extant Woodland House At the time of Griffith s Valuation Michael Dobbyn was leasing Woodland House from Elizabeth Bolton when it was valued at 22 The house thus labelled on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map was located a short distance away at S661113 but seems to have been superceded by this house by 1848 The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage notes that this house was sometimes used as a Dower house for Faithlegg House In 1945 the ITA survey indicates it was the residence of Hubert Gallway Woodlands The residence of J Tuthill in 1837 This house situated on the Dwyer estate was occupied by Captain John S Rich who appears to have let the house to lodgers at the time of Griffith s Valuation The house was valued at 35 In 1942 the Irish Tourist Associaton surveyor records this house as the home of M D Shaw of bacon fame It still contained a good library and some very valuable paintings and drawings The Limerick City Museum holds an undated catalogue of the sale of furniture etc from this house belonging to Malcolm D Shaw 13 Dec 1940s Woodlands Dunmanway A house built after the publication of the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map in 1840 Leased by William Wright from the Cox estate in 1851 when it was valued at 8 It is labelled Woodlands on the 25 inch map of the 1890s A house still exists at the site Woodlands or Aghana Robert Leslie was leasing this property to Pierce Leslie at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 8 15s Lewis records it as the seat of Pierce Leslie in 1837 Bary notes that Robert Leslie was reared by Pierce Leslie the owner of this property when he succeeded his father at a young age The house seems to have been known at times as Aghana House and is still extant and occupied Woodlawn Wilson mentions Woodlawn as a very superb ediface the seat of Frederick Trench in 1786 In 1837 Lewis recorded Woodlawn as the seat of J Trench and mentions the extraordinary mausoleum nearby At the time of Griffith s Valuation the house and buildings at Woodlawn were valued at 125 one of the highest buildings valuations in county Galway at that time In 1894 Slater refers to Woodlawn House as the seat of John Samuel Barrett By 1906 it had a value of 150 and was in the possession of Lord Ashtown Woodlawn House is still extant but unoccupied Woodlawn A house on the Devon estate occupied by George Bolster medical doctor at the time of Griffith s Valuation and valued at 11 Woodlawn was the residence of R Cart in 1837 It is still extant Woodlawn Killarney Francis Bland was leasing Woodlawn House from William Fagan of Cork at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 30 Lewis notes it as the seat of Hon W Browne in 1837 Bary states that it was built by William Browne around 1800 but was later lived in by Mahonys Blands and in the latter part of the 19th century by the Godfrey family It is no longer extant and the area is now a housing estate Woodlawn Hotel At the time of Griffith s Valuation Lord Ashtown was leasing a hotel property valued at 13 in the townland of Carrowmore barony of Kilconnell to William Menziey Woodlawn House Situated on the Hickman estate this house valued at over 13 was unoccupied at the time of Griffith s Valuation and the lease held by Denis Culligan Joseph Studdert had occupied the house in 1837 He was a grandson of Maurice Studdert of Elm Hill county Limerick One of Joseph s sons married Mary Gore of Tyredagh Castle and the Gore Hickmans appear to have occupied the house in the late 19th and early 20th centuries This house is now a ruin Woodlock House Portlaw A house built for the Malcolmson family after Griffith s Valuation it is labelled Woodlock House on the 25 inch Ordnance Survey map of the 1890s The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage indicates that it was designed by John Skipton Mulvany In the twentieth century it became a convent and is still extant and occupied Woodmount The Reverend P K Egan in his book on Ballinasloe records the building of this house by Laughlen Kelly in 1783 At the time of Griffith s Valuation John Kelly

    Original URL path: http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/property-list.jsp?letter=W (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Landed Estates Database
    features in this Web site Please view our accessibility page for more details Landed Estates Database NUI Galway Home Landed Estates Database Home Page More Information Estates A Z Families A Z Houses A Z Reference Sources Contemporary Printed Sources Images Map Search A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z List

    Original URL path: http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/property-list.jsp?letter=X (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Landed Estates Database
    C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z List all houses House name Description Image s Youghal House In 1837 Lewis refers to the seat of W Smithwick surrounded by thriving plantations The house was valued at 39 at the time of Griffith s Valuation and held by William Smithwick in fee The Smithwicks were still resident at Youghal House in the 1970s Youghal Lodge Located on the shore of Lough Derg this house is referred to in the Ordnance Survey Name Books in 1840 as Youghal Cottage However it appears on both the 2st and 25 inch edition maps as Youghal Lodge At that time it was owned by William Smithwich but Captain Barton was living there It was occupied by Scrope Bernard at the time of Griffith s Valuation He held the property from William Smithwick and the house was valued at 19 A building is still located at this site Youghals House A Miss Walsh was leasing this property from the Earl of Shannon s estate at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 14 This house

    Original URL path: http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/property-list.jsp?letter=Y (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Landed Estates Database
    features in this Web site Please view our accessibility page for more details Landed Estates Database NUI Galway Home Landed Estates Database Home Page More Information Estates A Z Families A Z Houses A Z Reference Sources Contemporary Printed Sources Images Map Search A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z List

    Original URL path: http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/property-list.jsp?letter=Z (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Landed Estates Database
    Occupied by Mr Thomas Clarke in 1814 by Edward Foote in 1837 and at the time of Griffith s Valuation He held the house and demesne from Viscount Lismore It is labelled Gortmore Castle on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map but as Gortmore House on the later 25 inch edition of the 1890s It is still extant Gortna House This house was located close to the shore of the River Shannon and is marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map and the later 25 inch map as Gortna House Lewis records H Franks as resident at Shannon View in the parish of Templeachally Henry Franks occupied a house valued at 12 and held from Stephen H Atkins at the time of Griffith s Valuation Henry Franks was married to Elizabeth daughter of Ringrose Atkins There are still buildings at this location Gortnagappul This area is marked as the farmyard of Aghadoe House on the first Ordnance Survey map At the time of Griffith s Valuation a house and offices valued at 28 were held by Roger G Davis from Richard Uniacke Bailey A large farm complex exists at the site now Gortnamona In the early years of the 19th century Gortnamona was the residence of Giles Eyre It had originally been a Burke house but became part of the Blake estate in the mid 19th century when Valentine Blake married Anne Burke Lewis records it as the seat of Patrick Blake in 1837 He was also resident there at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 25 It is still extant but in need of repair Gortnaraby Gortnor Abbey Ruane dates this house to the mid 18th century In 1786 Wilson refers to it as the seat of Mr Ormsby At the time of Griffith s Valuation it was leased from John Ormsby by an individual named Connop and valued at 25 In 1916 it was taken over by the Order of Jesus and Mary and now functions as a secondary school Gortnarup A Joyce residence at the beginning of the 19th century Gortnarup House is marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map Gortnascreeny House Lewis notes Gortnascree House parish of Caheragh as the residence of A O Driscoll in 1837 At the time of Griffith s Valuation the property was being leased by Thomas Goggin from the Becher estate and had a value of 4 10s In 1906 a property valued at 10 and owned by Sir John Becher was reported at Gortnadrohid but there is no townland with this name in Caheragh parish There is still an extant house at this site Gortnaskarry Cottage Colonel Drummond was leasing a property valued at almost 5 to John Breen at the time of Griffith s valuation It is labelled Gortnaskarry Cottage on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey and remains by this name on subsequent editions A house and farm are still extant at the site Gortnaskarry House At the time of Griffith s Valuation Michael Horgan was leasing a property at Gortnaskarry valued at 5 from the representatives of Denis Mahony Bary speculates that it may once have been an inn It is still extant Gortrevagh A village is marked at Gortrevagh on the first Ordnance Survey map but on the revised edition of 1898 1899 the village is gone and a substanial building is marked instead This may have been the residence of Edmund O Flaherty Some older buildings are included in what is now the golf club complex Gortroe Lodge At the time of Griffith s Valuation Gortroe Lodge was being leased by John Morrogh Bernard from John C O Riordan when it was valued at 22 Lewis records Gortroe Lodge as the seat of S Riordan Bary states that according to John O Donovan Stephen Riordan built Gortroe Lodge in 1831 The house is now demolished and much development has taken place in the area Gortskagh No house of more than 5 valuation is recorded in Griffith s Valuation in Gortskagh except the glebe house at 26 This house was occupied by Reverend William Bunbury who held the property from John Courtenay The Deane connection with Gortskagh commenced with the marriage in 1871 of Honourable Matthew J H F Deane uncle of the 4th Baron Muskerry with Maria daughter of Reverend William Bunbury The Deanes sold the house to the Binchy family in the 1890s Home of the Foley family in the early 21st century Gower Hall A house on the Burton estate held by Francis Keane from Henry S Burton at the time of Griffith s Valuation and valued at 12 It had previously being occupied by James Lillis in 1814 and also by Richard Pilkington who married Maria Blood of Applevale in 1805 Previously in 1786 Wilson refers to Gower as the seat of Mr Ames situated on a hill The house was reconstructed in the late 19th century and is still a family home the centre of a dairying enterprise Grace Dieu This house is labelled on the 25 inch Ordnance Survey map of the 1890s as Grace Dieu In 1848 it was leased by James Anderson from the Carew estate and valued at almost 49 In 1786 Wilson refers to Upper Grace Dieu as the seat of Mr Anderson It is still extant and run as a retreat centre by a religious order Gracedieu House James Kearney was leasing this property from James Anderson in 1850 when it was valued at 22 In 178 Wilson refers to Grace Dieu as the seat of Mr Morris It is named as Gracedieu House on the 25 inch Ordnance Survey map of the 1890s but is no longer extant Graig Built by the Hill family probaby in the last decade of the 18th century this house was their main home throughout the 19th century Occupied by James Hill in 1814 and 1837 and by Arundel Hill in the early 1850s The buildings were valued at 25 By the mid 1870s the head of the Hill family was resident at Mount Southwell Graig was restored in the 20th century Graig Abbey At the time of Griffith s Valuation James Clarke was leasing the house at Graig Abbey from the Warburton estate when it was valued at 18 It is still extant and in use Graigavalla Walter Henry Mansfield owned several properties in this townland at the time of Griffith s Valuation The largest was a mill valued at 12 A property labelled Glenduff Corn Tuck Mill appears on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map in this townland It is not visible on the 25 inch edition of the 1890s Another property in the same townland was leased to Catherine Kirwan with a value of 11 A farm is still extant at this site Graigue Lodge Leased by John Grace from the Barron estate at the time of Griffith s Valuation It is described as a steward s house and valued at 17 10s It is named Graigue Lodge on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map and as Belmount Cottage on the 25 inch edition of the 1890s The site is now occupied by a modern housing estate Graiguenoe In 1837 Lewis refers to C Clarke who has recently erected a spacious and elegant mansion on his estate In 1850 this mansion was valued at 44 12 shillings and it was held in fee by Charles Clarke Slater noted it as the seat of James Neville Clarke in 1894 and the Clarkes were still resident at Granguenoe Park in the early 20th century The house was burnt in 1923 The site is now occupied by a stud farm Grallagh Castle In 1840 the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to Mr Hodgins as resident at Grallagh House Southery Mansergh occupied the house valued at 14 in the mid 19th century He held this property from O Connor Hinchy It is labelled Grallagh House on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map but as Grallagh Castle on the 25 inch map of the 1890s It is no longer extant Granaghan The home of the Hewitt family on the Moloney estate Mr Tim Donoghoe was the occupier in 1814 The old house is now largely demolished and a new house has been erected on the site The house valued at 12 was held by Thomas Hewitt from Croasdaile Moloney in the mid 19th century Grange The Earl of Huntington s estate in Galway included a house valued at 7 at Grange parish of Killeenadeema leased to Patrick Murphy A house labelled Grange House appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map On the 25 inch edition of the1890s the original house is not shown and Grange House is located at M878146 This house is now a ruin Grange The Lyster house at Grange was knocked down in the early 19th century after the sale to Farrell and a new one built Grange H Conron occupied Grange in 1837 and at the time of Griffith s Valuation when the buildings were valued at 40 and held from J D C Beamish Hatton Condon was still living at Grange in the 1870s In 1894 Slater records Grange as the seat of E R Conron This house no longer exists Grange Athnowen Smith records Mr Onesiphorus Phaire as resident at Grange Ovens in 1750 Wilson writing in 1786 refers to it as the seat of Mr Whyte This house was the home of the Hawkes family in the 19th century occupied by J Hawkes in 1814 and 1837 and by John Hawkes in the early 1850s when the house was valued at 12 and held from Sir John Walsh A house is still extant at the site Grange Farm Originally part of the Forward estate which passed to Garret Nagle who had married the sister of William Forward Marked on the first Ordnance Survey map as a farm yard by the 1850s James Roderick O Flanagan was resident in a house valued at 13 5 shillings He held the property from the representatives of John William Anderson Grange Hill Leet records Grange Hill as the residence of Edward Croker in 1814 Edward John Croker was resident at the time of the first Ordnance Survey It was a residence of the Count De Salis at the time Griffith s Valuation The Count held it in fee and the buildings were valued at 27 The Count was still the occupier of Grange in 1906 Owned by Colonel and Mrs Galloway in 1942 The house is now known as Loughgur Grange Hill The Grange William Forward Austin was resident at Grange Hill in 1837 and in the early 1850s when he held the house valued at 41 in fee Hajba writes that this property belonged to William Forward and was inherited by one of his daughters who was married to William Austin William F Austin was their son Later the home of the Sadliers 1906 and Magniers still inhabited William Sadleir medical doctor was resident from circa 1866 Grange House This house marked on the first Ordnance Survey map but not named would appear to have been the Ormsby s main residence in this townland In 1786 Wilson refers to Grange as the seat of Gilbert Ormsby It is labelled Grange House on the 25 inch Ordnance Survey map of the 1890s The townland was part of the Farrell estate at the time of Griffith s Valuation There is still a house extant at this site Grange Primrose Grange Richard Gethin was leasing a house at Primrose Grange to Christopher Allen at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 14 McTernan notes this as Grange House built in the eighteenth century and enlarged c 1820 It was leased to a succession of families thoroughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries and was eventually demolished in 1981 A building formerly used as a school is stil extant and lived in Grangehill Robert Mason held a house and office valued at 15 10 shillings at Grangehill from William P Barker in the mid 19th century Mason was Barker s agent He also held offices and 101 acres in the neighbouring townland of Knockatooreen Grangemore Tireragh In 1786 Wilson refers to Grange as the seat of Mr Jones It is possible that he is referring to the house then at Grangemore in the parish of Templeboy By the time of Griffith s Valuation this townland was part of the estate of William Phibbs and the house occupied by Thomas McKinn was valued at 3 McTernan writes that in the mid 17th century this property was known as Curhow and was owned by Theophilus Jones It was subsequently sublet to the Wood family and purchased by Phibbs from the Cooper of Coopershill estate in the 1790s Granny At the time of the first Ordnance Survey Granny was described as a good farmhouse the residence of the proprietor who was Thomas Irwin Both Leet and Lewis record the Irwin family having a seat at Granny near Boyle in 1814 and 1837 respectively A modern building is extant at the site now Grantstown Hall The present house is not marked on the first Ordnance Survey map circa 1840 A house in this townland valued at 10 10 shillings at the time of Griffith s Valuation was occupied by Charles Massy who held it from his brother Henry W Massy In 1894 Slater noted it as the seat of Gen William Massy The Massys continue to live at Grantstown until at least 1906 Still extant and occupied Grantstown House I This property labelled Grantstown House on the 6 inch Ordnance Survey map of the 1840s is not visible on the later 25 inch map In 1848 it was being leased from Rev Robert Daly by Sarah Reynett and was valued at 25 Lewis refers to it as the seat of Rev Francis Reynett in 1837 Substantial urban development has since taken place in this area Grantstown House Blue Coat School At the time of Griffith s Valuation Rev Robert Daly held this property in fee It was described as Blue School and was valued at 80 On the 25 inch Ordnance Survey map of the 1890s it is labelled Grantstown House and the earlier house of this name has disappeared Greaghans At the time of Griffith s Valuation this property was held by Robert Bowen and occupied by Dominick Browne The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage notes that it was later occupied by Robert T Crawford agent to Lady de Clifford It is still extant Green Hills The home of a branch of the Minchin family in the 18th and for part of the 19th centuries The house was occupied by the Reverend William Minchin in the first half of the 19th century It was valued at 34 15 shillings at the time of Griffith s Valuation and held in fee The sale rental of 1851 describes the house as large and commodious and in good repair Bought by a brother of one of the Reverend Minchin s son in laws Montague Blackett This house no longer exists Green Lodge Occupied by R Coppinger in 1837 and by Anne Coppinger at the time of Griffith s Valuation and held by her in fee The buildings were valued at 15 10 shillings The sale rental of 1868 records the leasing of this property by George Lombard to Thomas Stephen Coppinger in 1789 for 999 years and the leasing of the Coppinger interest to Charles Manning in 1860 for 600 years The Irish Tourist Association survey notes that it was built by the Coppinger family one of whose members turned Protestant to save the estate It is no longer extant Green Mount Passage West Robert Hodgson was leasing Greenmount from the Boland estate at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 19 It is still extant and occupied Green Park Captain H Parker of the Royal Navy was resident at Green Park in 1837 By the time of Griffith s Valuation William Carberry was the occupier holding the building valued at 38 from Pim Jackson Extensive modern building has occurred in this area Greenane The Manserghs were residing at Greenane from the mid 18th century Wilson writing in 1786 refers to the house as the seat of Nicholas S Mansergh In 1814 John Mansergh was the occupant and in 1837 it was the home of his son Richard Southcote Mansergh In the mid 19th century the house was valued at 35 and held from Lady Osborne In 1894 Slater refers to it as the seat of Lt Col M Tynte The house is still occupied by a member of the Mansergh family Philippa Mansergh and her husband John Wallace Greenfield In 1814 occupied by William Allen and at the time of Griffith s Valuation Michael Boyan was resident He held the property valued at 10 from Richard O Aldworth Colonel Grove White writes that Boyan bought Greenfield from the Allens in 1840 in the Court of Chancery and that he made the house larger Michael Boyan of Greenfield Kanturk owned 570 acres in county Cork in the 1870s This house is extant and occupied Greenfield Colonel W Purefoy was resident at Greenfield in 1837 The Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to Greenfield as a house in a small but well wooded demesne By the early 1850s Edward Bagwell was the occupier He held the property in fee and the house was valued at 27 15 shillings Wilfred B Purefoy occupied Greenfield in 1906 when it was valued at 38 10 shillings It is still extant Greenfield Ballincollig In 1786 Wilson refers to Greenfield near Ballincollig as the seat of Mr Carleton with another house the seat of Mr Wetheral opposite Greenfield House is labelled on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map but is not shown on the 25 inch edition of the 1890s Greenfield Upper across the road is shown on both maps At the time of Griffith s Valuation this townland was in the possession of Francis Carleton Greenfield House was valued at 11 while the second house in the townland was valued at almost 10 Neither were occupied A building is still extant at the Greenfield Upper site though extensive modern housing has been built in the surrounding area Greenfield Cottage Greenville At the time of Griffith s Valuation Henry Burrowes was leasing a property valued at almost 8 from the O Hara estate at Coolaney This seems to be the property marked on the 1st edition OS Map as Greenfield Cottage It appears on the 25 inch Ordnance survey of the 1890s as Greenville The original house is no longer extant Greenfield House The representatives of Henry Galway were leasing this property from Mrs Honoria O Hea at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 20 Lewis refers to it as the seat of Henry Galway in 1837 He also refers to Green Park in the parish of Creagh as the seat of John Gallway In 1894 Slater refers to the house as the seat of Denis McCarthy Gallway Greenfield House is no longer extant Greenfield Fahy In 1777 a house at Fahy is recorded by Taylor and Skinner as the residence of the L Estrange family In 1786 Wilson also makes reference to this but elsewhere he mentions Faghy as the seat of Mr Hamilton Lewis records Fahy as the seat of T Burke in 1837 The OS Name Books state that the gentleman s residence in the townland of Fahy was called Greenfield At the time of Griffith s Valuation Pierce Joyce held over 400 acres of this townland together with buildings valued at over 6 The house is labelled Greenfield on both the 1st and 25 inch Ordnance Survey maps Some ruins survive at the site Greenfort A house valued at 10 occupied by Francis Wyse and held by him in fee at the time of Griffith s Valuation Greenhall A home of the White family in the 18th and 19th centuries In 1786 Wilson refers to Greenhall as the seat of Mr White Lewis records H White of Green Hall in 1837 The Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to it as a neat dwelling house the residence of H White in 1840 though it implies that Counsellor Grady was the proprietor James Grace was resident in the mid 19th century when the house was valued at 12 A building is still located at this site Greenhill Gaultiere Mrs Mary Manning was leasing this property from Lord Waterford s estate at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 18 7s It is named Greenhill on both the First and later 25 inch edition Ordnance Survey maps The original house is no longer extant Greenhills Greenhills was part of the estate of the Marquess of Sligo until the sale to William Livingstone in 1854 and was let to Joseph Bourke in the early 19th century It was later occupied by Archibald Stavert who held it from William Livingstone at the time of Griffith s Valuation It was owned by Matt Fahy in the late 1990s and is still extant Greenhills Samuel Barrett was leasing a house valued at 24 from John Blakeney in 1856 In 1837 Lewis had recorded Greenhills as the seat of S Barrett In 1885 Walford noted that it was the residence of Mrs Barrett widow of John Samuel Barrett In 1906 Greenhills was part of the estate of Lord Ashtown Trench The house is still extant but derelict Greenhills Occupied by Thomas Sherlock in 1814 and by Peter Franklin who held the house valued at 10 and 177 acres from Jeremiah Tuthill scond son of John Tuthill Villiers A house is still extant at the site Greenlands This house was the home of G Gaggin in 1837 and of George Gahan in the early 1850s Valued at 14 it was located on the estate of the Marquis of Thomond Greenlane At the time of Griffith s Valuation George Mayberry owned this property valued at 9 Lewis refers to is as the seat of Mrs Mayberry in 1837 and Leet as the residence of John Maybury in 1814 In 1906 it was owned by Francis Mayberry and valued at 5 Bary states that it was in the possession of the Maybury family from the eighteenth century until the 1940s Prior to that it was associated with the Duckett family It was demolished in the later twentieth century Greenmount Built in 1770 a two storey house home of the Green family and held from the Peacockes In 1786 Wilson refers to the seat of Mr Greene within half a mile of Patrickswell which he calls Graig The buildings were valued at 42 at the time of Griffith s Valuation Sold by the Greens in 1947 In the 1960s the house was demolished and a large modern house built instead by the Earl of Harrington Greenmount Molough Originally the home of a branch of the Greene family of Kilmanahan Occupied by Robert Prendergast in 1814 In 1841 the Ordnance Survey Name Books refer to it as the residence of Richard Butler Hamilton Low It was leased by Southwell Mulcahy at the time of Griffith s Valuation when the house was valued at 24 and held from the Reverend William Pennefather Marked on the first Ordnance Survey map as Greenmount this house is now known as Kenilworth House Greenmount House Daniel Connor was leasing this property to Thomas Atridge at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at almost 9 and stood on a holding of 300 acres In 1837 Lewis recorded Greenmount as the seat of Captain Long but in 1814 Leet refers to it as the seat of Thomas Atbridge sic There is still a house at this site undergoing renovation in 2009 Greenpark James Callaghan was leasing this property to Matthew Sweetman at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 9 15s In 1837 Lewis refers to Greenpark as the seat of John Gallway A building still exists at the site Greenpark In 1814 and 1837 this house was the residence of Richard Ievers brother of Robert Ievers of Castle Ievers At the time of Griffith s Valuation it was occupied by Mrs Sarah P Fitzgibbon the wife of Richard Ievers who had remarried She held the property from Alcock Otley and it was valued at 36 This house is now a ruin Greenville Occupied by William Dillon in 1814 by P Cruise in the 1830s and by John F Browne at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued over 5 and was part of a farm of over 250 acres Peter Tyrell was leasing a mill at Greenville from the Bellew estate at the same time Buildings including the substantial stables still exist at the site Greenville William G Sandes was leasing this property from the Earl of Listowel s estate at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 6 10s In 1837 Lewis mentions it as the seat of W G Sandes Leet in 1814 refers to it as the residence of George Sandes Bary notes that it was occupied by this branch of the Sandes family until the First World War It was repaired and rebuilt in the 1920s and is still extant Greenville The home of a branch of the Swete family from the early 18th century occupied by Samuel Swete in 1814 and by B Swete in 1837 Valued at 35 at the time of Griffith s Valuation and held by Benjamin Swete in fee The house is described as the family residence in the sale rental of 1877 but was held on a short term lease by Frederick Theodore Courtis It was in ruins by the 1940s as the Irish Tourist Association Survey reported that portion of the ruins were visible on the farm of Mr Cashman It also referred to an attack on the house by the Whiteboys in the 1820s which has resulted in several of them being killed Greenville Garret Barry eight son of William Barry of Rockville occupied this house in the mid 19th century He held it in fee and it was valued at 17 He was a racehorse owner and died unmarried Greenville passed to his nephew Dr William Barry of Rockville and Greenville Lucy K Barry was resident in 1906 when the buildings were valued at 34 Greenwoodpark Built in 1814 the home of Major John Knox sixth son of Francis Knox of Rappa and sold by his daughter Florence to her cousin a Knox of Mount Falcon The Armitages lived at Greenwoodpark in the 20th century but the house is now a ruin Gregans Castle Cregans Castle Gregans Castle Cregans Castle The home of the Martyn family from at least 1837 now run as a hotel Valued at 10 5 shillings at the time of Griffith s Valuation Grenagh House Denis Lawlor was leasing Grenagh House from Henry Herbert s estate at the time of Griffith s Valuation when it was valued at 23 15s Lewis mentions Grena as the seat of John O Connell in 1837 The Ordnance Survey Name Books indicate that it was built by Mrs Delaney in 1792 Bary states that O Connell was obliged to leave the house due to debts It then came into the possession of Denis Shine Lawlor and later again Daniel James It was afterwards the property of the O Connor family but has been ruinous since the mid twentieth century Grenanstown Wilson refers to Grenan s town as the seat of Mr Dalton in 1786 In 1837 Lewis describes Grenanstown as the seat of Count D Alton The Ordnance Survey Name Books note that James Williams was leasing Grenanstown but that it was occasionally the residence of Count D Alton At the time of Griffith s Valuation James Williams occupied Grenanstown He held the property from Count D Alton and the buildings were valued at 19 11 shillings The National Inventory of Architectural Heritage states that Richard Dalton Williams 1822 1862 poet and Young Irelander lived here as a child This house was later the property of Henry Eustace a member of the Robertstown county Kildare family It is now a ruin Grene Park This house dates from the mid 19th century and appears to have been built for Nicholas B Grene post the first edition Ordnance survey map as it is not located on exactly the same site as the previous building Griffith s Valuation records Nicholas B Greene occupying a house valued at 29 15 shillings held from the representatives of Robert Usher This house still functions as a residence Grevisk At the time of Griffith s Valuation Thomas Phibbs Peyton was leasing a house at Grevisk valued at 10 along with 100 acres from Viscount Lorton s estate The Census of 1749 recorded Grevisk as the home of John Nesbit It is still extant Greybrook A house occupied by Samuel Harrison at the time of Griffith s Valuation and held from Ambrose Hickey It was valued at 15 10 shillings Greybrook Villa and 50 acres was held on a lease dated 1857 from Samuel Harrison to William Edward Leche and occupied by Edward Corah Leche s interest was advertised for sale in March 1863 and Corah s in August 1865 Greyfield At the time of Griffith s Valuation Greyfield barony of Boyle was leased by Robert O Donnell from the O Reilly estate It was valued at 10 Lewis also records Greyfield as the seat of the O Donnell family in 1837 The original house is no longer extant Greyfort Alexander Perceval was the lessor of a property valued at almost 6 at Lislea barony of Corran which he was leasing to James Dale at the time of Griffith s Valuation McTernan notes the house as the seat of the Rea family from the mid seventeenth to the mid nineteenth centuries A number of other families occupied the house up until the 1980s when it was demolished Greyfort Cottage At the time of Griffith s Valuation Nicholas Gardiner was leasing a herd s house valued at 4 and lands from the Nicholson estate This property is labelled Greyfort Cottage on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map but it is not shown on the later 25 inch edition of the 1890s Greyfort Cottage later Greyfort House The Stoneys were residing at Greyfort from at least the 1770s as recorded by Taylor and Skinner and also by Wilson in 1786 A house known as Greyfort Cottage was marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey map at this location and is also mentioned in the Ordnance Survey Name Books which refers to it as a good dwelling house the residence of Henry Owen Saunders On later maps a different building in the townland is known as Greyfort House Biggs A Stoney was living at Grey fort Borrisokane in 1814 and Saunders is recorded as the proprietor by Lewis William Gray was the occupier of a house in Greyfort townland valued at 12 at the time of Griffith s Valuation and held from Henry O Saunders Thomas R Grey of Greyfort House owned 500 acres in the 1870s Buildings are still extant at this site Griston House The residence of a branch of the Massy family occupied by Frederick Massy in 1814 Described by Lewis in 1837 as the fine old family mansion of the Masseys Fitzgerald writes that Charles Massy of Griston was a brother of Lord Massy and 1st Lord Clarina At the time of Griffith s Valuation it was valued at 12 and occupied by Michael McMahon who held it from Charles O Brien Massy Grouse Lodge In 1786 Wilson refers to Grouse Lodge as the seat of Mr Seily At the time of Griffith s Valuation this townland was held by the Johnston estate but there is no property with a substantial valuation The house is shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map but a larger house appears to have been constructed later on an adjacent site as shown on the 25 inch map of the 1890s This property is still extant Grousehill House Patrick Murphy was leasing 66 acres and buildings valued at over 1 from the Earl of Huntingdon s estate at Killeenadeema West barony of Loughrea at the time of Griffith s Valuation This includes the property described as Grousehill House in the same townland on the 1st edition OS map The house is not recorded on the later 25 inch map A modern building exists at the site Grove This house near Roscommon town is named Bob s Grove on the Taylor and Skinner map the residence of Ormsby esquire Wilson also refers to it as the seat of Mr Ormsby in 1786 Occupied by Christopher Davies in 1814 The house is labelled Grove on the1st and 25 inch edition Ordnance Survey maps Grove A mid 18th century house which was altered in the 1830s Grove was the seat of the Barton family mentioned by Wilson as the seat of William Barton in 1786 It was occupied in 1814 by Thomas Barton and by William Barton in 1837 The Ordnance Survey Name Books describe it as a very large dwelling house with extensive offices in 1840 At the time of Griffith s Valuation William Barton held Grove in fee and it was valued at 69 Grove remained in the possession of the Barton family until the mid 20th century when it passed to the Ponsonby family This house is still extant and occupied Grove House This house appears to straddle the boundary of the parishes of Ballingarry and Rathkeale and the border of the baronies of Connello Upper and Lower Occupied by Colonel William O Dell Member of Parliament in 1814 and by Major O Dell in 1837 By the time of Griffith s Valuation Major O Dell s estate at Rylanes was in Chancery and Grove House was in use as an Auxiliary Workhouse It was valued at 35 and held by the Croom Guardians from Robert Maxwell This house is no longer extant but substanial yard buildings remain Gubleagh House The buildings at Gubleagh House Annagh South were valued at 13 at the time of Griffith s Valuation and the house was occupied by Johanna Cowhy who held it and 189 acres from Sir Edward Tierney This house is still occupied Guilcagh House At the time of Griffith s Valuation Guilcagh was held in fee by the Beresford estate and valued at 17 10s In 1906 it was still part of Lord Waterford s estate and valued at 16 It is no longer extant Gunsborough At the time of Griffith s Valuation this was the property of Pierce Mahony and valued at 12 10s It was leased to Listowel Board of Guardians as an auxilliary workhouse In 1837 Lewis records it as the property of Pierce Mahony who had recently purchased the estate Bary writes that it had previously been in the possesson of the Gun family It is now ruined Gurteen Home of the Campion family in the first half of the 19th century held from the Earls of Listowel Luke Campion was resident in 1837 and Lewis writes that it had been greatly enlarged and improved Mrs Mary Campion was resident in the early 1850s The buildings were valued at 13 15 shillings Later occupants were stewards to the Earl The house was demolished in the early 20th century Gurteen Thomas Bryan was the proprietor of Gorteen Callan in 1814 and Lewis records Gurteen as the home of the Reverend W O Brien Bryan The Reverend William Bryan held the property in fee at the time of Griffith s Valuation when the buildings were valued at 10 15 shillings Members of the Bryan family were still resident

    Original URL path: http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/property-list.jsp?letter=_all (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • ''Analecta Hibernica''
    14 Mar 1714 5 list and value of stock on farms of Robert Taylor 24 Sept 1723 letter from William Edward Taylor to Arthur Ussher re Act of Parliament to enable them to pay father s debts 30 Aug 1745 XV 1944 65 78 Estate Pigott Rathkeale Reference 18925 Report on the Ussher Papers contains reference to a legal case in 1685 Robert Taylor v Robert Piggott re lands in barony of Connello county Limerick XV 1944 65 78 Estate Prittie Lord Dunalley Reference 24852 SADLIER T U Dunalley Papers XIII 129 Reference 26033 SADLIER Thomas U Manuscripts at Kilboy Co Tipperary in the possession of the Lord Dunalley XII 1943 131 151 Estate Rose Ahabeg Reference 18926 Report on the Ussher Papers contains references to the Rose family of Ahabeg legal case Taylor v Rose XV 1944 65 78 Estate O Grady Kilballyowen Reference 18920 MacLYSAGHT Edward Report on O Grady Papers XV 1944 37 61 Estate O Callaghan Reference 31486 SADLIER Thomas U Manuscripts at Kilboy Co Tipperary in the possession of the Lord Dunalley XII 1943 131 151 Estate Conner Manch Reference 21505 McLYSAGHT E A Report on Conner of Manch Papers XV 1944 155 150 Estate Longfield Castlemary Longueville Reference 22247 McLYSAGHT E A Longfield Papers from 1628 the property of the late Major Lewis Longfield Mallow relating to the Longfield family and to lands in Co Cork XV 1944 135 142 Estate Barry Harold Barry Reference 19085 MacLYSAGHT Edward Harold Barry Papers XV 1944 131 133 Estate Daunt East Carbery Reference 22218 McLYSAGHT E A O Neill Daunt Papers Report on part of the collection relating to the O Neill Daunt family of Kilcascan Castle Ballineen Co Cork and to lands in Co Cork XV 1944 Estate Cavendish Reference 23302 BOWMAN Henry BARRY John The Duke of Devonshire s Irish estates 1794 1797 No 22 1960 pp 269 271 292 294 327 Estate Conner Bandon Reference 31946 MacLYSAGHT Edward Conner Papers from 1659 the property of Rev Col D Conner of Manch near Dunmanway relating to the Conner and O Connor families and to lands in Co Cork with some letters of Feargus O Connor the chartist XV 1944 Estate Bowen Cole Bowen Reference 22267 MacLYSAGHT E A Bowen Papers from 1650 formerly preserved at Bowenscourt Kildorrery Co Cork now in the Nat Libr of Ireland relating to the families of Bowen Cole and Nicholls and to lands in Cork Tipperary and Limerick XV 1944 Estate St Leger Reference 20239 MacLYAGHT Edward Report on Doneraile Papers XV 1944 335 362 AINSWORTH J F Second report XX 1958 55 90 Estate Pearse Limerick Reference 20236 Report on Brown of Clonboy Papers XV 1944 81 91 Estate Baker Lismacue Reference 20242 Report on Baker Papers XV 1944 372 Estate Ryan Inch Reference 20245 Report on Mansfield Papers includes reference to marriage settlement of Daniel Ryan of Inch Co Tipperary 1759 XX 1958 118 Estate Roche Trabolgan Reference 20535 MacLYSAGHT Edward Report on the Roche Papers in the

    Original URL path: http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/refsource-show.jsp?id=181 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive

  • ''Annagh:Ballyhaunis Parish Magazine''
    for more details Landed Estates Database NUI Galway Home Landed Estates Database Home Page More Information Estates A Z Families A Z Houses A Z Reference Sources Contemporary Printed Sources Images Map Search Reference source Annagh Ballyhaunis Parish Magazine Category Modern printed sources Description Contact person Telephone Email Estate records citing this source Found 1 estate records citing this source Estate Dillon Reference 34577 WALDRON Paul The Dillon estate maps

    Original URL path: http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/refsource-show.jsp?id=992 (2016-02-09)
    Open archived version from archive