archive-ie.com » IE » A » AUGHAVASCLOONE.IE

Total: 54

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Cloone & Aughavas Parishes Website - Townlands of Aughavas
    of the townland that lies along the Cloonsarn road known as Scrub road is called Lannbawn Lann Ban an enclosed piece of lea or pasture ground In the portion of the townland called Far Corroneary or Corroneary Tiernan there is a hill called Drumhaloon a name that could possibly be interpreted as Droim thalaimh bháin meaning the hill ridge of the lea ground or pasture for dry stock According to O Donovan the townland of Corroneary contained in 1836 a miserable collection of huts and mud houses To day Corroneary is regarded as the focal point of the parish The shop post office bar and football pitch are situated in it They lie along the main Mohill Cavan road which runs through the townland Corriga Carraigeach Rocky land O Donovan in 1836 says that the townland was principally under cultivation and that it contained a few good farmhouses For many years McDonnell s field in Corriga was the Aughavas venue for G A A matches Derrindrehid Doire an Droichid the oak wood surrounding the bridge Included in this townland is Killasity called on the Down Survey map Kilteenalossit On the southern extremity touching Lough Cam or the Crooked Lough lies a small area called Gubbyoosh Gob FhIodh Ghüise the point of the pine or spruce wood Lough Oora Loch Fhuaire the cold or bleak lake lies on the northern extremity on the boundary with Drumreilly On the map it is named the Little Lough There is also a small portion of ground in Derrindrehid called Aynog probably éanach meaning a place where birds congregated Diffin DuibhthIn a small parcel of black earthed land Diffin Lough now extinct lay in the north of this townland on the border with Aughadruminchin Drumgunny and Meiltron Drumbinis Droimbinnis the hill ridge of the singing or melody Birds may have gathered there or there may have been some legend of fairy music Drumerkeane Drumar Caoin the kind or fertile hill ridges When the word Drumar is used it denotes a number of hills O Donovan translates it as Drumar Chian Cian s or Kean s ridges On the Down Survey map it is written Dromerskeyan This could translate as Dromarsceachán the bushy hill ridges A small portion of land bordering Meiltron and stretching into Mullanadara townland was called Sheean from Siodhán a fairy hillock About Drumerkeane O Donovan says it contains a few good farmhouses and a large collection of huts and mud houses Drumgunny Pronounced Drumgunya locally it is Droim gainimhe or gainne the sandy ridge Sand has been quarried in the western side of the townland and sand can be seen in the drains The sand that was used in the building of Aughavas Catholic church 1925 1929 was obtained here O Donovan is incorrect in translating the name Droim Goine the hill of the wounding With reference to the townland he says The north and west of this townland is bog the remainder is arable and well cultivated except for a few small portions of furze The farm houses are good Drummanbane Dromán bán the small hill ridge of the lea ground Ban denotes lea ground or pasture land Dromore Droim Mór the big hill ridge There is a well preserved Celtic ring fort on Dromore hill Drumshanbo North There is a townland Drumshanbo South in the parish of Gortletteragh Droim sean both means the hill of the old huts In the south of the townland lies the townland of Annamonan Eanach Móinín the marsh of the little bog or it could possibly be the marsh of the small shrubbery from muine a shrubbery On the Drumshanbo river there was in olden times a wooden crossing called the Laynick a word that is derived from the Gaelic Léana meaning flooded land or swampy ground People used to cross here when travelling on foot towards Corroneary Aughavas Gradogue Locally pronounced Grag yogue Graigeog probably denotes village or hamlet O Donovan in 1836 says A small townland nearly all under cultivation The soil is in general poor and the houses of a bad quality Gortnacamdara Gort na Cam Dara the field of the crooked oak On the Down Survey map 1654 the name of the townland is Cornacamgaragh the round hill of the crooked oak The larger portion of the townland that on the southern end is in the parish of Cloone In the Aughavas portion of the townland there is a hill called Granawoolie probably Lannawoolie Lann an Bhuaile which could mean the cattle enclosure The townland is now locally called Camber Gurteen Goirtin a small tillage field On it Down Survey map 1654 it is marked Gurteenagragua Killafea Coille Feadha great or strong woods indicating a large wooded area It may also be Coille Fia the wood of the deer Deer traps have been found in the bog there Deer traps were made by digging deep holes in the bog in which were positioned pointed posts facing upwards The hole or trench was then covered over with light branches a hunt organised and the deer driven across the concealed hole The deer fell into the trench and was pierced and held by the pointed posts Needless to say it was a very cruel method of trapping wild animals The eastern part of the townland is called Drumersnaghten the hill ridges of the snow from sneachta meaning snow The district faces north and snow may have remained longer there than in other places The portion on the south western extremity is called Cleavy pronounced Clayway and its derivation may have come from clai meaning a ditch or fence O Donovan 1836 says of Killafea that there were quarries and a corn mill in the townland Cavan Cabhán a hollow place is also part of Killafea townland on the Ordnance Survey map This place contains a small burial ground which is still used occasionally It is believed that there was a church here in olden times Adjacent to the cemetery is St Patrick s

    Original URL path: http://aughavascloone.ie/content.aspx?par=6&ContentId=33 (2016-04-27)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Aughavas Parish Church Location Leitrim Ireland
    Photo Gallery Contact Us Menu Parish History Map of Aughavas Townlands of Aughavas Location Parish Priests Aughavas NS Drumnamore NS Rossan NS Location Location of Aughavas Parish Church Aughavas Cloone

    Original URL path: http://aughavascloone.ie/location.aspx?par=6&ContentId=16 (2016-04-27)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Cloone & Aughavas Parishes Website - Parish Priest's of Aughavas
    in different houses in the Parish until the first Parochial House was built in Aughavas in 1890 Parochial Houses or Presbyteries were not built in all parishes of the Diocese until the early nineteen hundreds Parish Priests Curates Anthony Dunne O F M 1820 Fr Hugh Kiernan 1820 1837 Fr Daniel Gaffney Fr John Eivers 1837 1839 Trans Mohill Fr Thomas Monks 1836 Fr Francis Maguire 1839 1847 Trans Rathcline Fr Nicholas McKeon 1836 1855 Fr Edward Mulrooney 1847 1861 died 9 12 1861 Fr Eugene O Reilly 1855 1862 Fr Nicholas McKeon 1861 1865 Fr Michael Monaghan 1862 1863 Fr Patrick O Farrell 1866 1876 Trans Kiltubrid Fr Christopher Reilly 1862 1864 Fr William Brady 1876 1887 Trans Streete Fr John Briody 1864 1866 Fr Francis Duignan 1887 1903 Fr William O Connell 1866 1869 Fr Patrick Dolan 1903 1920 Trans Bornacoola Fr Edward O Reilly 1869 1871 Fr Joseph McGivney 1920 1930 Trans Killoe Fr John McKeon 1971 1877 Fr Edward Dalton 1930 1932 died 27 8 1932 Fr Denis Gray 1877 1878 Fr Patrick O Reilly 1932 1950 died 22May 1950 Fr Eugene Kearney 1878 1879 Rev Francis Reynolds 1950 1961 Trans Ardagh Fr John Kelly 1879 1881 Fr Patrick Mollaghan 1961 1971 Trans Lanesboro Fr Thomas Hourican 1881 1882 Fr Patrick Kearney 1961 1980 Trans Ardagh Fr John Greene 1882 1884 Fr James Prunty 1980 1995 retired Fr John Galligan 1884 1886 Fr Michael Nangle 1886 1898 Fr Francis O Reilly 1898 1901 Fr James Bannon 1901 1908 Fr John Casey 1908 1914 Fr Patrick Higgins 1914 1918 Fr Edward Ryans 1918 1923 Fr James Foley 1923 1929 Fr Edward O Carroll 1929 1932 Fr Terence Meehan 1932 1937 Fr Patrick Mollaghan 1937 1943 Fr Aloysius Flynn 1943 1952 Fr Thomas Kelleher 1947 1950 Fr Peter

    Original URL path: http://aughavascloone.ie/content.aspx?par=6&ContentId=32 (2016-04-27)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Cloone & Aughavas Parishes Website - Aughavas National School
    launched during this well attended re union Teaching staff Aughavas N S The principal Mr Seamus Tiernan teaches 4th 5th and 6th class Mrs Breege Egan teaches 1st 2nd and 3rd class Mrs Marian Crinnigan teaches Junior and Senior infants Our Resource Learning Support teacher Mrs Ceri Gooheen has a current caseload of eight pupils in this school and a further ten in Cloone urine chlamydia test hpv virus in

    Original URL path: http://aughavascloone.ie/content.aspx?par=6&ContentId=22 (2016-04-27)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Cloone & Aughavas Parishes Website - Drumnamore National School
    Past pupils re union was held Also a well researched history of the school and surrounding areas was launched Drumnamore N S closed some years ago and is now a residence how does abortion pill work pregnancy questions abortion clinics in milwaukee phone spy software free free android spy app sms spy android free my ex cheated on me blog artistamobile com i think my husband cheated suction aspiration abortion

    Original URL path: http://aughavascloone.ie/content.aspx?par=6&ContentId=24 (2016-04-27)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Cloone & Aughavas Parishes Website - Rossan National School
    a Mass centre until St Stephen s Church was built in 1964 Rossan N S closed some years ago why husband cheat on their wife why wife cheat why do women cheat phone spy software free android spy camera sms spy android free how many men have affairs thesailersweb com signs of unfaithful husband why do guys cheat robertsuk com dating for married men women who cheated why most women

    Original URL path: http://aughavascloone.ie/content.aspx?par=6&ContentId=23 (2016-04-27)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Cloone & Aughavas Parishes Website - Fatima National School Cloone
    stands at below one of Cloone s most historic land marks the Tower of St James Church This old school replaced an earlier school in the village When it ceased being used as a school it became a community centre for a time and was used as a base for many fundraising ventures for the new St Mary s Church and for the New Community Centre The present Fatima N S had a much needed extension added in 1999 Fatima N S is the Central School catering for the parish of Cloone and the surrounding areas In the 1970s Adoon Corduff and Drumloughan closed The pupils attending these schools were transferred to Cloone Adoon had a very successful re union some years ago And Drumloughan past pupils are currently organising a re union for the end of July 2005 Teaching Staff Fatima N S Ms Teresa Moran Principal Ms Madeline Murphy Vice Principal Ms Grainne Baxter urine chlamydia test hpv virus in women symptoms free std clinics how many men have affairs open signs of unfaithful husband unfaithful wives link why people cheat unfaithful wives survivingediscovery com why people cheat when a husband cheats read why people cheat spyware apps

    Original URL path: http://aughavascloone.ie/content.aspx?par=8&ContentId=21 (2016-04-27)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Cloone Parish Church Location Leitrim Ireland
    Newsletter Aughavas Cloone Photo Gallery Contact Us Menu Schools Location Parish History Parish Priests Townlands of Cloone Map of Cloone Location Location of Cloone Parish Church Aughavas Cloone Parish Website

    Original URL path: http://aughavascloone.ie/location_2.aspx?par=8&ContentId=0 (2016-04-27)
    Open archived version from archive